Stars and Stripes Chiefs Fired as Pentagon Clash Over Editorial Independence Escalates
The Pentagon has dismissed senior Stars and Stripes journalists amid a growing dispute over the military newspaper’s editorial independence.

The Pentagon has fired the editor-in-chief of Stars and Stripes, its publisher and a reporter, escalating a dispute over the editorial independence of the US military newspaper and prompting fresh concerns about government interference in military journalism.
Editor-in-chief Erik Slavin said Friday that he had received a separation notice accusing him of insubordination. Middle East reporter Lara Korte and longtime publisher Max Lederer also received notices, according to the newspaper and reporting by the Associated Press and Reuters. The notices give the affected staff members five days to appeal.
Slavin said his dismissal was linked to an interview with CBS News in which he defended the newspaper's editorial independence and said potential censorship of news affecting service members would cross a personal red line. Korte also spoke publicly about the importance of the publication's independent reporting. The Pentagon has characterised the issue as insubordination, rather than formally describing the dismissals as punishment for particular stories.
The dispute centres on the unusual position of Stars and Stripes. Although the newspaper is partly funded by the US Department of Defense and its employees are government workers, it has historically operated with editorial independence and has served American military personnel and their families for generations. Its origins date to the Civil War, with its modern role becoming particularly prominent during the world wars and subsequent US military conflicts.
That independence has come under increasing pressure during the second Trump administration. Pentagon officials have criticised the publication's editorial direction, with spokesman Sean Parnell saying earlier this year that Stars and Stripes should be refocused on subjects such as military operations, weapons, fitness, survivability and other matters directly related to service members. Officials have also criticised some of its coverage as unnecessarily negative.
The Pentagon had already dismissed Jacqueline Smith, the newspaper's ombudsman, in April. Her role was specifically intended to help safeguard the publication's editorial independence, and she said at the time that she believed her criticism of the Pentagon's proposed changes to the newspaper contributed to her removal.
The latest dismissals follow another significant change at the publication. Lederer, who had spent more than three decades with Stars and Stripes and almost two decades as publisher, announced his retirement this week. In a message to staff, he said his understanding of the newspaper's mission differed fundamentally from the direction being pursued by Pentagon leadership.
The appointment of an active-duty Navy captain, William Urban, to a senior position at Stars and Stripes had already raised concerns among staff, members of the publication's advisory structures and some lawmakers. Critics argued that placing a serving military officer in a leadership role could weaken the civilian oversight that has traditionally helped protect the newspaper's editorial autonomy. Urban, however, has said he supports the publication's independence while seeking to expand its digital journalism.
The controversy is unfolding amid a much wider deterioration in relations between the Pentagon and the American press. The Trump administration and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth have imposed tighter restrictions on journalists' access to the Pentagon, while several major news organisations have challenged or resisted new rules governing military reporting.
For critics of the Pentagon's actions, the Stars and Stripes dispute is especially sensitive because the newspaper's primary audience is not the general public but the soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and military families who depend on it for information about their communities and deployments. Supporters of the Pentagon's reforms, meanwhile, argue that a military publication funded by taxpayers should better reflect the needs and priorities of the armed forces.
The disagreement is therefore about more than the fate of three journalists. It raises a fundamental question about whether a publication created to serve military communities can remain genuinely independent while operating within the Defence Department's financial and administrative structure. That question becomes even more consequential during wartime, when service members and their families need reliable information about conditions on the ground, including information that may be uncomfortable for military leadership.
The broader significance is that the battle over Stars and Stripes is becoming a test of how much editorial independence can survive inside a government-funded military institution. Whatever happens to the dismissed journalists, the dispute could establish an important precedent for the future of military journalism in the United States and for the ability of reporters to scrutinize the institutions they cover without fear that editorial disagreement will be treated as insubordination.